In the Marines, workplace attire was pretty simple. When I transitioned into pharmaceutical sales, life got a lot more complex. Now, as a keynote speaker and consultant, I find that I’m always thinking about what I wear … and connecting that with what I hope to project.
I’ve learned a few things along the way:
- As a 5’3” woman, I should never wear circle patterns – it makes me look like a little girl.
- The Johnny Cash look (all black) has a time and a place.
- When I’m delivering Zoom presentations, I’ve got to wear the right camisole underneath a jacket … or it looks like I’m wearing nothing at all. Also, there are some key tips to Zoom backgrounds!!
I get it: this is a superficial topic. Yet, come on. I’ve been in rooms where women have dressed a little too risqué and have had their intelligence discounted. Women aren’t the only ones with workplace attire challenges. I’ve heard from HR Teams that the men I’m coaching need to stop wearing athletic socks with their dress shoes … and I’m the person to deliver this message.
My next Soft Power event is titled “Am I Flexing My Feminine Style … Or Dressing Inappropriately at Work?”
Here’s what I’d like you to do:
- If you haven’t registered for Soft Power, register – it’s 100% free. Register here.
- If you’re a woman, share this message with your female colleagues and encourage them to attend – this will be a fun topic to discuss on Friday, June 16, at Noon ET.
- Ummm … if you’re a guy, don’t forward this to your female colleagues … they’ll be a little suspicious or maybe even a bit creeped out.
- Bring your mentees to this discussion.
And, if you’re a guy, you can come! There might be a situation where you have to mentor someone on their attire and you could learn a few tricks in this session. ☺
My best, Angie
PS My friends warned me that this could be a little dicey topic. After all, shouldn’t we feel free to express ourselves? We should feel free. I’m just saying that there are unfortunate consequences to the wrong “look.” I’ll tell you all about it when we connect!!